Visitors to Darling Harbour can enjoy a ride on the beautiful historic carousel, which is located at Palm Grove, near Sydney Visitor Centre.
The steam engine that drives the carousel was made in 1892 by Tidmans of Norwich (England) and the horses carved c. 1885 by G & J Lines and Co, London. The carousel was imported to Australia in 1894 by Thomas Kale and until 1987 was owned and operated by the Kale family at country agricultural shows around NSW.
The carousel also appeared at many significant public events in Sydney including the opening celebrations for Sydney Harbour Bridge. It was a permanent feature at Manly Fun Pier (c. 1945 - 1970) and in The Rocks through the 1970s. The carousel was purchased by the NSW Government and installed at Darling Harbour for its opening in 1988.
The carousel is thought to be the second oldest surviving carousel in Australia (after that in Melbourne Zoo, built in 1886) and is one of only a handful surviving from the 19th century in the world today.
Opening hours (non-holiday periods)
School holidays hours